Saturday 19 July 2008

Astronomical clock ticks towards an important birthday

Lucky for some: hat number 13 is modelled in the heart of ancient Tübingen. Click to enlarge.

When I first saw this photo, I thought an extension had been added to the P40B headgear, but on closer inspection I realised that I was looking at a parasol, designed to shelter the residents of Tübingen from the glare of the mid-summer sun. The picturesque and historic German town -twinned with Durham in the UK - is a short drive south of Stuttgart.

Here's Vanessa taking time out from her job with http://www.englishtalk.net/ (and the pressures of a recent house move) to ensure that Germany joins Denmark, Spain and Italy as a documented centre of European birthday celebrations. She's posing in front of the Rathaus, which she tells me houses an astronomical clock. I've no idea how much it cost, but it was astronomical.

As an American citizen, Vanessa is keen to get the weißer Hut over to the land of the free and home of the brave. Citizens of Baton Rouge, Louisiana are duly warned.

Location: Tübingen, southern Germany
Date: 19th July 08
Hat No: 13
Status: Controlled Release


No comments: